Thursday 12 April 2007

The 30 month article........


Ok. So as a lecturer, I'm expected to write articles. Blogging doesn't count. There's an enitre, self-sustaining hierarchy of journals which we're supposed to publish in, which only ever get read because other academics want to know what to write. It's like a South Sea Bubble of 'knowledge'. And it hasn't burst.

Anyway, had an idea (almost three years ago now) about the way in which ideas spread like viruses and decided to send the paper to a top management journal. Let's call it the Journal of Management Studies. Because that's it's name.

So amazingly, they don't reject it (98% failure rate apparently) and the four (yes, 4!) professors who reviewed it gave me their comments to improve it for publication. Now, regardless of the fact that most of these comments were contradictory, I made the changes and resubmitted it. Now this pattern of resubmission, comments, resubmission has now been going on for almost three years and I'm starting to wonder what the point of it all is, especially now the reviewers are asking me to reinsert things (!) that two years ago, they asked to be removed.

And you, the taxpayer (gawd bless ya) are paying for this linguistic merry-go-round. Still, it beats stacking shelves at Tescos.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doctor Baloney - You make a good point: that much academic publishing seems pointless. I must admit your Blog is the best (academic related thing) I have read in ages. University institutions, academic departments and individual scholarly careers are in the vice-grip of a professional elite who demand that peer review is the absolute measure of intellectual worth; peer review publications are how you get a job, promotion and status within university institutions. But remember the peer review process will purify you of any interesting, subversive, creative and anti-establishment thoughts. The bland have just inherited the earth - or the universities at least. Let's end on an optimistic note: THE SYSTEM ALWAYS WINS. Keep blogging.

doctor baloney said...

well, that's very kind of you. I sense the presence of another academic perhaps?

The trouble is that it's hard to think up an alternative. I'm not sure what's wrong with the peer review that Wittgenstein or Aristotle used i.e. if it's any good people will still be talking about it in 50 years....

Anonymous said...

I love this! You blog is fab! Keep it up!

I recently had published a textbook that is being adopted and potentially read by more students than any of the articles I have written ... thus impact on the minds of students is 10-fold what I could reach through my one weekly lecture delivery or journal articles ... however at a recent appraisal I was told the book - after 3-years development and fantastic early sales performance - wait for it!!!! 'DOES NOT COUNT!'

So back to my lonely office to seriously consider if journal publications ... which stifle creativity, well mine anyway ... are really what my future is all about ... writing most certainly, writing for the few - maybe not!

keep blogging and maybe see you in the halls!

:)

doctor baloney said...

Thanks for the comment! And it's nice to hear I'm not the only one struggling with the purpose of all the academic malarkey!

In your next appraisal I believe a beard may help your case...... (though, I doubt if it will suit you)...